Friday, November 16, 2012

Roller Derby

I always have big lapses of time where I don't post, and I always have an excuse as to why I haven't been posting on this here blog. This time, well, roller derby took over my life.

I left my roller derby story back in May, but a lot has happened since then.

In June I graduated from boot camp, and soon after I got recruited to a team. (Holy crap, things were moving fast!) Then in July I went to Las Vegas for RollerCon which is a huge roller derby convention/training camp where I learned so much, hung out with other Derby Dolls, did not drink or gamble, of course, and even roller skated the strip.

In August I played my very first roller derby bout (which is what a game is called) against the Humboldt Roller Derby Widow Makers in Eureka, CA. We flew into Sacramento and then drove another 5 hours up the coast of California, stopping at swimming holes and themed rest areas along the Avenue of Giants. It was a beautiful drive. And we won the game.

In September I went back to little ol' Seneca, Kansas with my family for a wedding and to visit my brother. While I was there, my team played a home game that I missed. But that is ok, because I will be playing another game here in San Diego on December 8th. My first banked track home game. I am so excited!

Anyway, during all that traveling I was practicing three nights a week, running the Derby Dolls flickr account, recruiting photographers to shoot at our bouts, volunteering with other Derby Dolls at various community events, skating at the beach and handing out flyers to promote who we are and what we do. And now, because apparently I can't get enough, I am part of the training team. Which means I am one of several Derby Dolls teaching the boot camp practices now. Cool.

I love doing this, and I plan on doing it for a while, I just need to strike a balance between derby and sewing. It is hard because roller derby becomes very addicting. I feel like I am in the best shape of my life, I've got some nice muscles in my legs that I never knew existed, I've made a lot of friends with some really cool people, and rolling around on 8 wheels is just fun.

Our league's main goal for next year is to find another facility to bout in. Currently we practice in a facility downtown, and we play our games in Del Mar which is not central at all. And, because we only rent the facility in Del Mar for one night, we have to build and take down the track every time we have a bout. It is this big production that could be remedied by having our practice space and bouting space in one central location.

Which is where you, dear readers, come in. We are raising funds through indiegogo to get our new facility. If you can, please donate to our cause. Every little bit helps. And I promise I'll have some sewing related posts soon.








3 comments:

Cassie Stephens said...

I have to tell you that I love (and miss, sniff!!) your blog. I found your dresses a while back on pinterest and it's been love every since. I hope you are still creating amazement and just wanted to let you know what an inspiration I find you to be :)

Nicole Bodenstein said...

Hi! I came for the petticoat, stayed for the awesome geekery. I have yet to watch THX 1138, but it's definitely on my list. I love that you're into roller derby, especially now that you're knob-less!

Keep it up. :)
NB
http://my20hobbies.blogspot.com/

Hana said...

Roller Derby is the best thing since sliced bread!
I hope it stays good to you.