Thursday, March 31, 2011

Get your stripes right

When I have a design in mind and the fabric picked out, I usually have a pretty damn good idea of what I am going to do right down to the very buttons. But sometimes I am wrong and the design details need to be tweaked a bit. Such it is with this dress.

I had the bodice done and the skirt done but not attached and I was a little worried about these stripes being too bold, especially with red buttons down the center, so I put this thing on the mannequin to have a look see.


And I do think the the stripes are a bit too bold, so I was hoping once I got the sleeves on with pointed cuffs it would tone them down a bit, but well that didn't work. The cuffs and the center front now both seemed out of place:


The solution: repeat the same stripe pattern on the cuff, and there you have it:

This also gave me a better spot to place the button on the cuff. I didn't know where to put it on the cuff on the right, but on the left, it fits right in that little gap between the green.

And here is it almost completed. I still need to sew the buttons on, but that will have to wait till the end because I've got to move on to the wool skirts and vests this week.


I think I am moving right along. I've also completed all the shirts, they just need buttons and button holes.


This week I shall finish three skirts and two vests, leaving me two jackets, a pair of shorts, a pair of pants, three ties, two belts, and one bow tie to finish in 5 weeks. Right now I am not too stressed about finishing on time, I just have to keep up my current pace.

4 comments:

lsaspacey said...

OMG, I love that dress! I loved it from the first pic but with the new sleeves it's even better. It immediately reminded me of the first outfit in this link of costumes from An American in Paris. Also, check out the later pictures where she wears a neckerchief too.

I can't wait to see the rest of your collection.

lsaspacey said...

And yes, I know the two dresses don't look anything alike, but that's the dress that immediately came into my mind though. And I bet a young Leslie Caron would have looked fabulous in it too!

*Emy said...

Oh gosh this dress is AMAZING!!! I'm not sure how I found your blog but I just needed to let you know how wicked talented I think you are! Your eye for details is spot on! I'm gonna start saving my money now so when you stock your etsy again I can be ready!!!

MateaTPol said...

i like it a lot!!! and i like your blog too!