When I have a design in mind and the fabric picked out, I usually have a pretty damn good idea of what I am going to do right down to the very buttons. But sometimes I am wrong and the design details need to be tweaked a bit. Such it is with this dress.
I had the bodice done and the skirt done but not attached and I was a little worried about these stripes being too bold, especially with red buttons down the center, so I put this thing on the mannequin to have a look see.
And I do think the the stripes are a bit too bold, so I was hoping once I got the sleeves on with pointed cuffs it would tone them down a bit, but well that didn't work. The cuffs and the center front now both seemed out of place:
The solution: repeat the same stripe pattern on the cuff, and there you have it:
This also gave me a better spot to place the button on the cuff. I didn't know where to put it on the cuff on the right, but on the left, it fits right in that little gap between the green.
And here is it almost completed. I still need to sew the buttons on, but that will have to wait till the end because I've got to move on to the wool skirts and vests this week.
I think I am moving right along. I've also completed all the shirts, they just need buttons and button holes.
This week I shall finish three skirts and two vests, leaving me two jackets, a pair of shorts, a pair of pants, three ties, two belts, and one bow tie to finish in 5 weeks. Right now I am not too stressed about finishing on time, I just have to keep up my current pace.