Monday, March 15, 2010

These little buttons are all it took . . .



. . . For me to conceive this dress:


It all started a while ago, when I thought I don't want to wear jeans and t-shirts to work anymore, especially since when I wear my jumper to work, people always ask where I got it. I've gotten a few customers that way. So if I wear dresses every day, maybe I can just quit one of my jobs.

Instead of going to the fabric store to buy all new materials for work dresses, I checked my current inventory: I had some red polka dot fabric, some brown fabric with small black dot clusters, and some plain black cotton. Hm. I also had these buttons that I bought with no particular use for them in mind, I just had to have them. I also happened to have some red piping. Nice. Red and white buttons, red piping, and black cotton? Yes. That was precisely the combination that would work.

Piping looks really good on Peter Pan collars, so that is what I went with. I didn't really want to make a belt, so a thick waistband was my second choice, which also gave me another place to apply the piping. And of course semi-full skirt because I am not going to wear a full one to work. It was missing something though. Ahh, white top stitching to go with the white in the buttons. Brilliant. So there I had my design, made the pattern, and started sewing this thing. I got almost finished and realized that the waist band was too high, and I put in a side zipper as well as the button front, but that was hardly enough room to get in and out of this thing. So I threw it out.



My second attempt was much better. I fixed the pattern so that a zipper could go right up the back, and therefore the buttons on the front aren't functional. The only thing I really changed was the skirt. Instead of patch pockets in my original design:

I did something a little different. I broke the skirt up into 6 panels. Three in the front and three in the back. The pockets were inserted into the seams on the front side panels. And the dress had so much detail on the bodice that the skirt needed something. So I top stitched all of the vertical seams of the skirt, and the pocket of course was top stitched, piped, and buttoned as well. By the time I had the second bodice done, I already knew I wasn't going to wear this to work, so I made the skirt full enough to fit a petticoat.

And it is what I wore to the Glashaus opening.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Studio Revamp Complete

This is what the studio looked like for the opening.




As you can see, the layout changed a bit. When I got everything in where I had originally planned, it was too cramped. But I think it works better this way. On normal days the table will be centered in the room, we just took it out for the opening.

Before and After:



Now I feel like I actually have a Sugardale Shop.