Thursday, April 2, 2009

Take THAT, tote!

I am ashamed to say that this is the tote that I have been carrying around for far too long:



You can tell that this thing is on its way out. The bottom is fading badly, and so are the straps. When I made this, I thought it would be cool to have a little bit of brown showing at the top. And I decided this after a I had the whole thing sewn together, so I had to pull the brown lining out a little, and then sew around the top again. This resulted in the lining being shorter than the dot fabric, which caused it to fold, and basically look like crap. But I kept carrying it, and I don't know why.

Before this, was another tote that I got from Strand in New York. Why do I always resort to the tote? I hate totes. I even hate that word. So why did I ever carry one? Well, I also hate purses. Floppy leather things with studs and rhinestones, or worse: expensive logos, that are a distraction more than anything. I would feel more uncomfortable holding one of those than this ugly thing.

There are some vintage purses I like. Something sleek and simple, perhaps black patent leather? But can I really carry that around when I am wearing jeans and some sneakers? Or even a casual cotton dress? No.

So today I threw it out, and am now tote free. Yes.


I am down to a card holder, a phone, and keys, which other than a little notebook were the only contents of this tote anyway. I just have to pocket everything; my jeans have pockets, so do all the dresses I have made, so I think I'll manage just fine.

No comments: