Monday, March 23, 2009

Three dresses. One petticoat. All black and white.

So here they are ladies and gentlemen. Some of the designs may look familiar (I had to modify some old patterns, because I didn't have a lot of time to make these before the fashion show.)

When I set out to make these, I didn't want to spend a lot of money, so I went to the swap meet in National City because most fabric there is $1-$2 a yard. I got lucky and found the polka dot chiffon, and all the satin fabric there. I did have to go to a fabric store for the lace, though.

I think these are some of the best things I have made so far. It makes me want to design only really pouffy dresses. (Like maybe a white dress with big red polka dots, and a huge, fluffy red petticoat, or something blue with a matching petticoat, or yellow stripes with a yellow petticoat and cherry red shoes . . . oh the possibilities.)

Anyway, all of these photos were taken, cropped, and shopped by my man, at the warehouse that our studio space is in. These are just a few that I really liked, and thought best represented the dresses. If you want to see all (about 50) of them Mikey has put them on his flickr page.

Enjoy.




On the one above, you can kind of see this dark splotch above my left wrist. That was where I burned myself with some piping hot water (ouch!), and the reason these took so long to get done.








This photo (above) is one of my most favorites.




If you look at this one (above) but only focus on the bow and up, it starts to look like the front of my body without a head, but with neck hole and everything. It's a little creepy, which is the main reason I chose to put this one up.

So that is it on here. You guys should really see the rest of them, because there are a lot more that are just as good, or better.

I think all these dresses just make it in the practical, wearable category of clothing. They are not "wearable art" which is almost unwearable anyplace but a runway, but they are not quite every day items. I think they can work for just the right occasion, and I will certainly wear them on any such occasion that arises.

And my teacher said that I could put them in the school's fashion show, that is coming up on May 15. Yeah!

I keep thinking that the satin sashed one is my favorite, but then I look at the other two and change my mind. I know that the construction of the lace one is the best (and you can only tell by looking on the inside), so that puts it higher on the list for me, but then the polka dot one is just so cute. God, I don't know. Which is your favorite -dress? -photo? -pose?

13 comments:

Martha said...

Favorite dress: the third -- black & white with high neck and surplice waist. Lovely!

Favorite photo: Same as the one you said was one of your most favorites. Wonderful!

stormko said...

Favorite dress: first

Favorite photo: last

Michelle Koury said...

WOW! I have been reading your blog ever since I first saw one of your dresses. I used to think I was the only person who wanted to wear poofy dresses.

My favorite dress in this post is the lacey number and all the photos of it. Your dresses are going to rock that show!

Amanda W. said...

Favorite dress... The last one but the polka dot one is very close second.

Favorite photo... The second and third.

Affi'enia said...

Fav dress is the spotty one. I love all things spotty, poofy and halterneck so it's my ideal dress really :o)


Fav photo is 4th from the bottom. I'd love to wear dresses with backs like that but the bust will not allow it!

KatkaSedl said...

Wow, they're really lovely. Did you take these photos by yourself? They are pretty nice. I like 8th and 10th the best. But that last one is also very nice. They all are!

lsaspacey said...

Favorite dress: 2nd dress

Favorite pose: the one leaning against the wall in the polkadots and the one you said you liked.

I have nominated you for an award, see it here.

Jos said...

Hi, I am new to your blog, but I really LOVE your work! Bye from Holland.

burka said...

dude you are an excellent model, highly impressed! does mikey take the photos? they are amazing!

Little Knitter Gem said...

I love all the dresses, but especially the polka dot one - that is so pretty, and I LOVE polka dots!! :D All the photos are great - you are a great model!!

Gemma x x

Rix Family said...

Gorgeous dresses Trista! I am so proud of you! I can only imagine how long it took to construct those dresses with all the petticoats. I can't wait to see more and I will certainly keep you in mind when friends need something special made :)

lottacurls said...

ALL of these dresses are FAB! The second one is my fave, but I'd totally wear the heck out of all of them! =D

Maxi A. said...

OMG!!!!!!!!!! This photos are just amazing:) I was looking for some inspo on Google how to make a petticoat and I got directed to your blog. And those dresses just took my breath away!! You're really taleted:)

I will be dropping here very often:)

BTW how did you manage to do this petticoat?? It's awsome!!:)