Friday, March 13, 2009

Excuses

A few of my previous posts have been promising more pictures of those pouffy dresses I made, and some designs for etsy, but well I got off to a rocky start.

I was hoping to get some photos last Friday or Saturday, but the Monday previous, I burned my arm pretty badly. And by photo shoot Friday, it was really gross, and blistery, and juicy, and now it is really crusty, and bumpy, and brown. So I think I will hold off for one more weekend and spare all of you. I think by next weekend it will be a pink scar with minor flaking, and will hopefully be somewhat presentable.

As for etsy, well. . . A while ago I went to school to copy all of the slopers that they had. I copied sizes 6-20, and with each size, the difference between the bust and waist measurements is 10 inches. That, to me, seemed like a lot. I myself have only about 7 inches difference between the two, as well as a few of my coworkers whom I've measured, and a lady that I am currently making a dress for. So I decided to throw those slopers out (well I just haven't copied them to manilla paper yet), and went on a quest to find some new ones. I found a pattern, which has a bodice and a skirt both with one dart at the waist and one bust dart on the bodice, which is exactly the type of sloper I need to start with. So I bought three of these patterns, each containing three different sizes, with measurements that I think are more suited to the current female body than the ones at school, which I believe to be a little out dated.

I am curious if I have made the right move, though. I was wondering if all you ladies could measure your bust and waist (you can throw your hips in too, if you want) and post them in the comments of this post. That way I can do a little sample to see which slopers I should actually use. I might even find that I need both. I'll see with your help. Thanks.

14 comments:

Arielle said...

Ok, I'm the first to get naked, so to speak.

Bust 35
Waist 29
Hips 37

Note, I converted from cm using my Nokia cell phone's Converter II app so I don't know about accuracy. I am in love with that phone, though.

And I'm only 5' tall.

Amanda said...

I'm sorry about your burn... I feel bad now for being impatient for the pictures of the dresses! :)

Bust 32
Waist 26
Hips 36

Cosmo said...

Bust 34
Waist 27
Hip 40

Amanda #1 said...

Bust 40
Waist 32
Hips - not a clue

Lady Be Good said...

Bust 35
Waist 27
Hips 41
Height 5'10"

I would definitely recommend using the slopers with the larger waist. I suspect that anyone with a 10" difference between bust and waist is probably used to taking in their clothes in the waist.

Shelby Gubba said...

Bust 36
Waist 28
Hips 38

But you might already know that, unless I've changed dramatically size-wise (hope not).

tammyo said...

32.5/27/33 I have no hips...

Sarah said...

Bust: 40
Waist: 29
Hips: 40

I'm one of those people made for the older slopers, which is why I usually end up buying vintage patterns. Most of the dresses I buy off the rack are a bit too small in the bust so my waist won't swim in them.

Erica said...

Hey Trista!
your clothing on here is so fab!

Here is the link to my friends page, if you want to check out her gear. I think it is right up your alley.
www.myspace.com/antilabelcouture
Although I must say your contruction looks perfect in these photos. I'm impressed, the dress you wore in NY is my fave!

See you at work soon ;)
e

lsaspacey said...

Here are mine:

Bust 33.5 - 34
Waist 27
Hips 38

Height: 5' 4.25"

lsaspacey said...

It seems the 7 to 8 inches difference is in the majority here, at least.

victoria said...

Just found your blog thanks to the petticoat tutorial. Trying to convince my Momma to make me one as I'm still a raw beginner with a machine.

My measurements are a bit out dated I think. My natural waist is really high so I've included where clothes usually sit as well.
Bust: 43 inches
Waist: 34 inches
Where clothes usually sit: 38 inches
Hips: 43 inches

Piroska said...

I'm
Bust 37
Waist 27
Hips 39

I would like the original slopers...sigh...but as Lady Be Good said, I'm used to things being too big in the waist!

Love your dresses, you inspire me to be neater and more professional in my sewing.

'Rin said...

Here ya go, for all the good they'll do ya.
Bust 47
Waist 40
Hips 52 (at my bellybutton)