Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Studio and some other stuff

When I first started sewing I was in my Mom's room on a little machine, on a little table, in a little corner. When I moved out, I upgraded to a new (but crappy) machine on a little desk, in a little room. Then I moved in with my boyfriend and bought a Bernina Activa 210 (which I love) and sewed on the kitchen counter. Remember this? That's me in on the kitchen counter, with books at my feet, no place to put patterns, probably some pasta or something not far away, it sucked.

Ahh, but that is no more. I now have a great sewing machine, on a big table, in a big corner. I have shelves, a little rack to hang my patterns on, a mirror, a mannequin.

It is great! However, it does cost money. So I am going to start selling some custom sized skirts and dresses on Etsy. Hopefully that will be going by March 1st.

On the left in the photo is my latest design. I wanted a dress that I could wear sneakers with, and I had this fabric left over from a draping project so this is what I have come up with. It's not done yet.

I am liking it so far, and I was hoping this would be one of my designs to sell on etsy, but I went back to the fabric store and there was only about 1 yard of it left. If they can't order more, then I have this idea to use some really cool fabric from Ikea. I'll have to see if it will work as a dress though because it is upholstery fabric. So we'll see. . .

This fabric on the other hand,


will work great as a dress or skirt. This is the only stuff I bought in New York. I could have bought a few more things, and trust me there was sooo much there that I wanted to buy, but I didn't have a lot of money. I bought 10 yards of this with the intention of making several dresses out of it for selling. So what do you guys think? Might you see a dress made of this, and think I want it? If so check sugardale.etsy.com in the near future, I'll have a design soon.

2 comments:

Christine H. said...

Can't wait to see what designs pop up in your etsy shop---I love that red fabric!

EdgyK said...

I love that fabric! I hope your business venture goes well. And I am totally jealous of your new sewing space. I still share mine with the dining room and den area.