Sunday, September 7, 2008

Learning Music and Fashion

This sums up what my mind is occupied on:

(Music and fashion, not dancing)
So I am in school again. This will be my last year. Oh god YES!  This semester I am taking six classes.  Designing through draping. Designing on a dress form makes me feel like a real designer. It's fun. I am also taking a fashion sketching class, which isn't as fun for me. It's just going to take a lot of practice to get good, and I am not getting any enjoyment out of it yet. Maybe I will when I am more practiced, we'll see.
I am also taking three classes I have to take to get my AA. Business Math is one, and I dread that class. The other two I am taking online: World History from 1500 to the present. I like history, so it isn't bad. And the worst one: Intro to Business.  Good thing I am taking this online because I am going to try and bullshit the entire course. I didn't buy the book because there is one on reserve in the library. But I checked it out and flipped through it the other day, and I was bombarded with pictographs and flowcharts with shadow effects and marginal tidbits that read "Low carbs and diet drinks can equal fat profits." PUKE. I am going to try my hardest to pass this class without opening the book again. 
Aaaaaand, I am taking Basic Musicianship. Which is a class about learning how to read music, and really learning how. I love this class. My professor's name is Igor, which is a good music teacher name. He is great. The class is a lot of work, though. In just two weeks, I have memorized notes on the treble clef, bass clef, and I've almost got the alto and tenor clefs down (which I didn't even know existed). I can play the keyboard with both hands (really simple stuff, of course), and I am getting more and more familiar with the notes on the keyboard, I know all about enharmonic notes, the difference between diatonic and chromatic half steps, I can hear the difference between a half step and a whole step, and I am on my way to knowing major scales, minor scales, dominant seventh chords. . . It is like learning a new language. And the best part is, upon completion of this course I get to take a class next semester where I get to play my clarinet. Cool.
Someday, fashion will be my job, and music will be my hobby. 

1 comment:

marielle said...

you will know more about music theory than me! i think that clip just made my day.