Tuesday, August 19, 2008

For One Night Only

Over a week ago, Mikey and I were asked by Adapta Project--who put on the art show, Dress Me In Paint at Thread--to combine our talents and tastes, and this was the final product:

Pff, good job Mikey. The design was his idea, and he made the backdrop, and the hat, which was some sort of ventilation device he got at The Home Depot, and was square in shape. He cut it and painted the arrow on (nice touch), and the trim around the brim, while I was sewing and resewing metal arrows on the skirt because the thread kept breaking, as it was rubbing against the metal.



Unfortunately, given this thing's size, and our lack of storage space, as well as the currently sagging hem, and busting threads desperately holding on to the arrows, it is doomed. The only thing I am salvaging is the petticoat, which I will eventually use for something else. Even if someone did want this for their own display, I couldn't let them have something that would gradually fall apart. Thus, she will only live in these few pictures.

The Thread Show was just ok.  It's not really my style: I don't like current trends, so it is hard for me to judge the apparel there without being totally biased; there was a lot of jewelry there that looked like good quality, but I don't like jewelry (except a string of pearls paired with the right outfit); and there were plenty of t-shirts, but I don't wear t-shirts. 
Even though I design and make clothes, I don't feel like I am a part of the "fashion world." And I am by no means a "fashionista" (partly because I hate that term). The fashionista there was swinging her hips, and bobbing her head to the runway music, while I wanted to slit my wrists on the corrugated backdrop Mikey built and let the blood pump out with the soulless beat blaring forth from the runway, and put an end to that music pounding at my ears.
Also, the word "thread" seems like a very loose idea for the event. While I was watching the fashion show, I happened to glance to my left, and I saw this lady whose lips were pealed back up to her gums and whose face was bathed in a bright blue light that was blasting coffee and cigarette stains away from her teeth. You know, just out in the open for everyone to see (trust me it wasn't a pretty sight). Didn't bother her at all though, she just leaned back and wiggled her dirty toes to that terrible music. Weird. "I went to Thread and got my teeth whitened." It just doesn't make any sense.
Nothing there resembled Mikey's and my piece, and since my tastes don't stray to far beyond the aesthetic of our instillation, nothing there really interested me. So aside from hating the music I was subjected to, I am afraid I have to remain opinionless about this one.
Despite all of that, I am glad I did the show, and want to thank Adapta Project for asking Mikey and me to contribute. Even though I wasn't that impressed with Thread, Adapta Project didn't disappoint. Click here for all the other Dress Me In Paint designs.

3 comments:

Mberenis said...

Great blog! thank you for posting, I've bookmarked this for future reference.

ADD URL or BLOG to 6,000+ Websites for FREE

Pam said...

Hi Trista. I read your blog occasionally and was excited to see your dress at the Thread show. It was beautiful!

I think we share a similar aesthetic, and I too am consistently underwhelmed by Thread. A bit too "street" for my taste, if that means unfinished hems and poor construction. Seeing my friend Kinsee and getting a close-up view of your piece were definitely the highlights.

Wish I would have seen you there. I would have said hello. I think I would have recognized you, as you would have been practically the only other woman there not wearing a maxidress.

Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Is there any chance you could post a tutorial of how to make this petticoat?